What Kind of Bloggin' Blog is This?
Glad you asked. As I stumble my way through the virtual void and gradually figure out what this particular assemblage of ones and ohs might offer, I intend to establish a forum. That forum, I hope, will be one in which friends and total strangers might put forth their thoughts on Christianity and related topics (and even not-so-related ones, as the case may be.) All denominational and non-denominational perspectives, as well of those of other religious and philosophical viewpoints, are welcome. (In case you didn't read my profile, mine is that of a Catholic Christian). The only limitations I insist upon are those of common courtesy. Critique, argue, disagree to your heart's content. Just don't be a jerk about it.If you have ready-stocked in your quiver some article or essay you've previously composed, and can figure out how to post it, please feel free to share it with the class. I don't know boo about "officially" crediting a piece written by someone else, but if you choose to share such a piece, or an excerpt thereof, please do what you reasonably can to give the author his or her due. I'd prefer to keep the Google police from my door, and besides, it's the courteous thing to do.
The book of the moment for me is "Being Christian" by Joseph Ratzinger. If the name rings a bell to you, it's probably because it rang a whole lot of them in Rome last week when he was named Pope Benedict XVI. Long before he was pope, and long before he was a cardinal, he was an extremely erudite and deep-thinking priest, theologian and writer. The book I speak of is a collection of sermons he gave in 1965, and what he said then is just as relevant today:
"In our generation the Christian Faith finds itself in a much deeper crisis than at any other time in the past. The problem of whether it is still possible in this century to live an honorable life by this faith and to have confidence in it in time and in eternity is met not only by those who find themselves on the fringe of the Church, but every single one of us. In this situation it is no solution to shut our eyes in fear in the face of pressing problems, or to pass over them. If faith is to survive this age, then it must be lived, and above all, lived in this age. And this is possible only if a manifestation of faith is shown to have value for the present day . . ."
(c) 1970 by Franciscan Herald Press
As one who believes utterly that the Christian faith has value for the present day and, indeed, for eternity, I see it as fit and proper that it should be poked and prodded with the stick of man's intellect. Not only can Truth bear it, but one's intellect can only be enlightened in the process.
As for this nascent forum, I suspect that it will mainly be visited by those who already share the Christian faith. As to us, may this little site be a place in which we can mutually encourage and support one another. Experience may be a great teacher, but shared experience is even greater.
Wishing you peace in Christ,
je

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home